Shisong General Hospital

St. Elizabeth Catholic General Hospital was started on the 15th of November 1935 as a small dispensary and maternity by five Tertiary Sisters of St. Francis from Brixen, South Tyrol-Italy, who had arrived in Cameroon on October 12, 1935 and reached Shisong on the 16th October, started as a clinic which was recognized as a hospital in 1952 given the Registration number 224. Later in 1974 the recognition was reconfirmed with the

In 1954 a training center was opened for midwives which today serves as the catholic school of health sciences. The Hospital is located some 105 km from Bamenda the Capital of the North West Region and 3 km from Kumbo Central town.

In 1972 Dr. Leonard Sunjo, was appointed as the first Cameroonian Chief Medical Officer. Since 1983 the Administration of the Hospital has been in the hands of African Tertiary Sisters of which the first matron was Sr. Xaveria Ntenmusi.


The following are main departments of Shisong Hospital

– Dental Clinic
– Eye Clinic
– Medical Department
– Pediatric Department
– Diagnostic imaging
– Laboratory
– Integrated day Care
– Physiotherapy
– Primary Health Care
– Pharmacy and Procurement

Other Services:

– Technical Department
– Canteen Services
– Laundry possibilities
– Resource Unit
– Administration

The hospital serves the sick both nationally and internationally. The outpatient department and  laboratory services operate 24/7. The diagnostic imagery includes echocardiography, Holter-ECG, basic ECG, obstetric ultrasound, abdomino-pelvic ultrasound and x-ray services.


For any inquiries please email

Scroll to top